September 3, 2014

Subscriber Login

Don't have a username and password? Phone 419-399-4015 or email to get yours today.
Click the E-Editions image below to see E-editions of the Progress, Weekly Reminder and special sections
Help a child have a merrier Christmas


Progress Staff Writer

PAULDING – All over Paulding County, people are working diligently to see that residents get something for Christmas.

“Times are always tough this time of year. This year we have at least 281 families who have signed up for assistance. There are still more children who need sponsors,” noted Judi Short of Job and Family Services.

“If people want to sponsor a child, they can go to ALCO Department Store and get a name from the Angel Tree.

“There are still names left on the tree and a child has listed some items they need or want for Christmas. Also, if you buy them right there at ALCO, they will give you 15 percent off of your purchase. You can even leave the items at the store and I can pick them up,” Short said.

“I would like to mention that Ellie Townley’s Girl Scout troop makes the angels for the Angel Tree at ALCO. They do a nice job and this is one of their projects.

“If anyone would like to donate anything, we are accepting donations,” Short added. “We need items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, body soap and shampoo. Food is also needed.”

Consider sponsoring a child with a monetary donation, which can be dropped off at Job and Family Services, located at 303 W. Harrison St. in Paulding. Checks should be made out to Paulding County Christmas For Kids.

You also can call the agency at 419-399-3756 and tell them you want to sponsor a child; leave your name and number and Short will return your call. Any dollar amount will be appreciated.

Short has been working with the Christmas giveaway program for 16 years and had noted earlier that sponsorships were down this year. She will be at the extension building for drop-offs from 1-4 p.m. Dec. 12, and from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Dec. 13.

Jan Lowe of Oakwood also reported that the Elf Tree in Oakwood still has names left on it. The Elf Tree is located at The State Bank and The Cooper Community Library in Oakwood.

If you want to drop off items the times to make donations are: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Twin Oaks United Methodist Church. You may also drop off donations from noon-7:30 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Cooper Community Library. For more information, call Lowe at 419-594-3132.

On Saturday, Dec. 5, the TGIF (Thank God It’s Free) giveaway was held at the First Presbyterian Church and by Paulding United Methodist Church at the county extension building.

Sue Wannemacher of Paulding UMC said “This year we served approximately 400 people. The Paulding United Methodist Church expressed their thanks to those who made the giveaway a success, including Lafarge, Baughman Tile, ALCO and Maramart; and to Jeff Dye and Spartech for transporting leftover items to United Way in Defiance.

Linda Reineck of the First Presbyterian Church reported their TGIF served close to 400 people and gave away 200 bags of food.

Reineck expressed thanks to Cooper Farms for donating the cans of turkey that went in the food bags.

Reineck said, “What we had left over went to the Cecil Presbyterian Church, which has its giveaway this Saturday.”

Christmas is not only a time of receiving, but is also a time of giving.

Can you help someone have a joyful Christmas? If it is possible, please sponsor a child, or make a donation of toiletries, food or cash. We know that Paulding County is a sharing county and your help is appreciated.





How to help those in need

It’s not too late to help children and families have a brighter Christmas. Here’s how you can make a difference:

? “Paulding County Christmas For Kids” through Department of Job & Family Services, 303 W. Harrison St., Paulding, or call 419-399-3756.

? Pick a child’s name from the Angel Tree at ALCO or the Elf Tree in Oakwood and purchase suggested gifts for that child.

? Donate food, toiletries (such as toothpaste or shampoo), household items (such as paper towels or cleansers), or baby items (diapers, wipes) to a community food pantry, or call Job & Family Services.