|Paulding County Pedigree|
By Caroline Zimmerman
DITCHING THE BLACK SWAMP
Part 1 of 2
Note: Parts of this were taken from the NORTHWEST OHIO QUARTERLY Summer 1984.
“The Buckeye Ditcher” was invented in 1892 by James B. Hill in Bowling Green, which was a steam driven mechanical ditching wheel. He manufactured five more machines in a blacksmith shop in Deshler and had to move because of financial problems.
This time he moved the Buckeye Ditcher Co. to Carey. Another 25 machines were manufactured in Carey before Hill sold out to Van Buren, Heck and Marvin Co. in 1902. The company moved to Findlay and became known as the Buckeye Traction Ditcher Company.