|Fort Brown built in 1812|
This is part of a series of columns that the Progress will publish about Ohio and the War of 1812.
Courtesy Ohio Society
United States Daughters of 1812
Fort Brown is located on the Auglaize River at the mouth of the Little Auglaize River in Paulding County. This War of 1812 fort was to be a small supply post and was occupied for a short time. The fort was named in honor of Captain Brown, who built and commanded the fort for General William Henry Harrison’s Army. According to tradition, Captain Brown and several other soldiers are buried there, but they are in unmarked graves.
The Native Americans used the Auglaize River as they traveled between the Ohio River and the Great Lakes. Portage trails were used to traverse from one stream to another.