July 29, 2014

Subscriber Login



Don't have a username and password? Phone 419-399-4015 or email subscription@progressnewspaper.org to get yours today.
Click the E-Editions image below to see E-editions of the Progress, Weekly Reminder and special sections
Fire destroys home; family loses possessions
Latest
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:21 PM

From Staff Reports

PAULDING – Firemen were called around noon on Feb. 11 to 613 Lincoln Ave. in Paulding for a house fire. Nick Martinez and Val Urey and their family resided in the home, which was a total loss.

Three area fire departments battled the blaze, which began in the garage. When it reached nearby flammables, it caused an explosion that knocked Nick and his friend to the ground. The house immediately filled with smoke.

Val wrapped her two children, Maggie, 18 months, and Nicholas, 3, in a blanket and crawled out to safety. Two older daughters, Lexy, 14, and Maria, 17, were at school.

Nick and his friend were transported to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

On scene were four Paulding fire units and two each from Cecil/Crane Township and Payne, plus both Paulding EMS units.

The Martinez family rented the house. They currently didn’t have insurance.

Since the fire, Nick and Val’s friends, family, and community have pulled together to make donations of clothes and household items, but will need more to get back on their feet.

A Facebook page has been set up for the family, called “Help Nick and Val Recover from Devastating House Fire.”

The community is donating items to help the family. The Salvation Army and Paulding County Red Cross have provided assistance. Red Cross disaster chairman Rick Noggle contacted the Bargain Bin, which opened for the family and gave them several bags of clothing and other items.

Churches are collecting donations and Vantage Career Center is doing a fundraiser as well.