September 2, 2014

Subscriber Login

Don't have a username and password? Phone 419-399-4015 or email to get yours today.
Click the E-Editions image below to see E-editions of the Progress, Weekly Reminder and special sections
Poison ivy: An itchy situation
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 10:27 PM

By Mark Holtsberry

Education specialist Paulding SWCD

I never know who truly reads these articles. Apparently my youngest daughter does. She asked me to write an article on poison ivy. She is the child I nicknamed “bug” and to this day she still carries that same name. She has always been the child who gets sunburn, bites, and even rashes. So, Lauren, this article is for you.

Most people would not know that toxicodendron radicans, is commonly known as poison ivy. This North American plant is well known for its production of urushiol, a clear liquid compound found within the sap of the plant that causes an itching irritation and sometimes painful rash in most people who touch it. The plant is not a true ivy. Poison ivy can be found growing in any of the following forms, as a trailing vine, as a shrub, as a climbing vine that grows on trees or some other support.