ODNR Fall Foliage Update No. 3 - Oct. 9
COLUMBUS – Ohio’s state parks, forests and nature preserves remain open and ready to share their dynamic palette of oranges, yellows and reds that provide the perfect backdrop for hikers enjoying the fall color this weekend. Near peak conditions are expected across northern Ohio stretching down into the central portion of the state this coming weekend, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).
“Throughout the fall season, Ohio State Parks offer a variety of organized hikes that provide an amazing perspective of the Buckeye State’s beautiful and diverse natural terrains,” said ODNR Fall Color Forester Casey Burdick. “State parks like Hocking Hills and Mohican as well as preserves like Conkle's Hollow are stunning on a normal day, but when these places are draped with beautiful fall color, the experience is breathtaking.”
The burst of color at the onset of the season provides a perfect backdrop for hikers, bikers and horseback riders to make their way across the hundreds of miles of publicly accessible trails. Anglers and boaters can also see priceless perspectives of Ohio’s fall foliage reflecting in the rippling water along miles of shoreline and waterways.
Check out fun events happening this weekend at Ohio State Parks:
• Fall Family Harvest Campout, Mary Jane Thurston State Park (NW) - Oct. 11-12. Moonlight movie, scarecrow making contest, floating doughnut contest, chili supper, nature programs, plus the Grand Rapids Apple Butter Festival on Oct. 13. For more information, call 419-832-7662.
• Grandma Gatewood’s Fall Colors Hike, Hocking Hills State Park (SE) - Oct. 12, 1 p.m. at the Old Man’s Cave Visitor Center. This will be a 6-mile strenuous hike. For additional information, call 740-385-6841.
• Hike to the Falls and InstaHike, Mohican State Park (NE) - Oct. 12, 10 a.m. Meet at the covered bridge picnic area. Many beautiful fall colors will be seen on this hike through a mixed species forest. Moderately difficult hike. For more details, call 419-994-5125.
• Fall Breakfast and Fall Fest Dance, Stonelick State Park (SW) - Oct. 12 at the campground shelter house. Fuel up with a great breakfast from 8-10 a.m., then dance into the night. For more information, go to friendsofstonelick.org or call 513-734-4323.
The Hike to the Falls at Mohican State Park on Saturday, Oct. 12, will include ODNR’s first Instahike. We are encouraging all hikers at Mohican to share their photos throughout the hike using the hashtag #InstahikeOhio on social media, such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The hike will include activities with Mohican’s naturalist as well as staff from the ODNR Division of Geological Survey, who will be available to talk about the geology and natural features of the park and surrounding area. Burdick will also be present to help identify trees and talk about the science behind fall color.
People interested in finding out where the most captivating leaves will be throughout the upcoming fall color season should check out fallcolor.ohiodnr.gov, ODNR’s premier guide to Ohio’s fall color season
This website includes:
• Weekly color updates and information to help plan a fall color adventure.
• Weekly videos from Burdick that will highlight color hot spots around the state and provide information about some of Ohio’s 100-plus tree species.
• Links for fall activities, scenic road trips and more, including unique overnight accommodations at Ohio State Parks.
Looking for some great fall getaway ideas? TourismOhio has numerous itinerary ideas and a listing of attractions at discoverohio.com under their Autumn Adventures feature.